Being socially acceptable

Our hypothetical child was going to fit into OUR lives not the other way around. It was going to go out when we wanted to and it was going to happily sit in the pram and smile when necessary and keep itself occupied. We were still going to do dinners and not time watch all the while bub would still be sitting in the pram and being happy. This hypothetical child was going to be the best thing ever! It was not going to interrupt our lives to much at all....

I love hypothetical babies! And now being a parent I REALLY love hearing parents-to-be talking about their hypothetical children, all the while on the inside I'm laughing so hard I can no longer breathe and my oh so weak bladder is no longer working like it needs to, because adults peeing themselves isn't socially acceptable.

So our first outing was when Georgia was 8 days old. We went to have her newborn photo's done. The photographer we used was AMAZING! She was a baby whisperer, for 3 straight hours Georgia didn't cry AT ALL and she stayed in her cute little sleepy state for all the pictures. It was incredible, we were in new parent heaven. But of course this amazing experience set us up to think this would be how bub would be on every outing.

A few weeks later we decided we would go out as a little family and have a coffee, and that hypothetical baby came creeping back, we thought she would curl up in her pram and sleep like an angel. We soon realised that baby was no longer with us. As soon as we got to our favourite coffee place Georgia was awake and crying and just wanted to be cuddled, so there was no relaxing coffee together were we could chat about fun times past. We took turns holding bub while the other drank their coffee like it was a shot and left.

When you're a stay at home mum you really do need to get out, I think it is extremely important for your sanity and I also think it also helps bub. That first little bit Georgia hated the car, I can't put it into words how much she hated the car but it wasn't a nice experience driving with her at all. But I did get to the stage, many times, where I NEEDED to get out. The truth is you just need to do it, babies do get used to the car, it's a new thing for them and crying is the only thing they know how to do, but they will eventually stop. I found mothers group was amazing for getting me out of the house. We catch up every week and I needed those mums especially in the beginning. So at least I knew I would go out at least once a week.

Practise makes perfect, I'm very confident taking bub out now, because I forced myself and Georgia to do it. I do time watch a little bit when we are out but I'm not a super strict mum where we have to be home at a certain time so she can go to bed. I do use it as a guide and it makes me aware of when she will be getting cranky.

If she misses a day sleep she seems to cope ok but if we do a dinner out it is very different, she does become more fussy and it seems the only thing that makes her happy is if one of us is holding her standing up, if you even think about sitting down with her she cracks it. So we have learnt to try do early dinners out or organise someone to babysit. Most people we've dealt with are fine with our newly found freedomless life and are accommodating, which has made it a lot easier to be social.

So new mums, makes sure you do get out and about, force bub to get used to it because you don't want to go insane looking at the walls of your house, trust me they don't become anymore interesting!

x

Comments

Popular Posts