Kmart Cubby Makeover

Our outdoor play area Makeover



The girls were lucky enough to be gifted a Kmart cubby from their Aunty at Christmas time and I took it apon myself to pimp it out! I would love to take the credit for the colour scheme and painting the cubby but that was all my sister-in-laws doing. My OCD kicked in and I had to make the kids other outdoor furniture match the cubby. I thought I would share with you everything that I have done to the kids little outdoor section so if you are needing any inspiration I am here to help! I'm not going to say it is finished as I keep finding new and amazing ideas that I want to add but for the most part it is done! 

*Cue the MTV cribs music for this tour* 

Welcome! Come on in.
I'll start with the cubby, So I wanted the front to look like a cute little cottage, then the back of the cubby to be an Ice Creamery. I've kept everything for the ice cream shop theme temporary as I know the kids might get sick of it or I might want to change it in the future. 









For the front I added a bell which you can get from here. I also put Rattan webbing on the front door to add something a little unique which I brought from here, it was tricky to put in and isn't perfectly flat but it is still cute. The welcome mat and flowers in the window boxes are from Kmart. The beautiful sign on the front door is from here. 
If you want to know which paints were used they are dulux low sheen weathershield.
The pink shade is called: Mellow Mauve .02
The Grey is: Silver Thaw 











For the girls ice creamery I shopped around for different wooden Ice creams, most of them were from Kmart, I also got some retro wooden ice creams from here mainly for us adults to walk down memory lane, I want a bubble-O-bill every time I see it! I up-cycled an old Christmas gift box to match the cubby so when the girls aren't playing all the toys can go in there to avoid being damaged in the weather. 












 The amazing custom made Ice Creamery sign was made by Nathan from Laser Cut Crafts. I also made a personalised order form note pad on Vista Print. The toy phone and grey hanging bags are also Kmart. The Retro ice cream bowls I found on Ebay, but I have also seen something similar at Big W.




















My mum is amazing and made the girls the curtains with tie backs, napkins, Ice cream place mat and oven mits. I added fly screen to the side windows to stop leaf litter coming into the cubby. I used a staple gun to secure it to the top then I used Velcro to secure it to the bottom so if the girls want to open them they can. I also bought a playground square mat to go under the cubby to protect it, I got that from bunnings and hubby cut it to size. I think that is all for the cubby! It is now time to see the kitchen and table! 




The table used to be a natural timber colour and I simply used the same grey & pink as the cubby to get them to match! 









The outdoor kitchen is a Kmart hack that was also made by the girls Aunty, it had seen better days so I gave it a little love and it also now matches the cubby & table (see below for the before photo) I added some hooks so the utensils can hang from them & my mum made the oven mits to go with the theme.






And that is it! I hope you enjoyed the little tour of the girls outdoor play area, I also hope it has given you some inspiration for any projects you were planning on starting! 

x















Comments

Popular Posts