My Breast Feeding Story

My two breast feeding experiences have both been very different and I think my mindset played a huge roll in how I went and how the girls went both times, here are my two stories:

With Georgia I put a huge amount of pressure on myself to breast feed. In my mind breast was best. But I think the pressure I put on myself and my lack of knowledge of how it all works made it difficult for myself and Georgia. I ended up having to mix feed, I just didn't make enough milk for her and her colic/reflux was so bad she would just throw it up all the time, I stopped breast feeding Georgia when she was around 5-6 months old. I tried everything to get my supply up, I drank 3 litres of water every day, Had medication from the doctor, Ate boobie cookies, expressed every hour, took fenugreek to name a few but it just didn't work. 

I was also very self conscious about feeding in public. I don't think I did it even once, I only would breast feed at home or I would express before going out, I wouldn't even do it in front of friends or family. I was so scared someone would come and say something about me having my boobs out in public. So that was another added pressure. 

With Lauren it has been a much nicer experience, I really think my Placenta Pills have helped me kick start my milk supply. I also had in my mind a fed baby is a happy baby it doesn't matter if baby is formula feed or breast feed. So I've been so much more relaxed. I'm still making sure to drink at least 3 litres of water a day to keep myself and Lauren hydrated. And this time I have breast fed her out in public and in front of people. I do cover myself but I still feel completely fine about feeding. It's weird this time it's like my brain has stopped worrying about what people think.

Both times I have found it hard to find a comfortable way to breast feed, my boobs are massive when I'm breast feeding, they are falling out of a G cup bra! Which in turn is giving me bad back and shoulder pain. I would love to know if mama's with smaller boobs have the same problem with finding a comfortable way to feed. I also found for the first 2 weeks both times it was extremely painful to feed. Thank goodness that feeling does pass!

I don't have a end time with breast feeding Lauren, if it keeps being easy and Lauren is getting enough milk from me I'll keep at it. It is free and there is no bottles to clean! Only bad thing is unless I express no one else can do the night time feed! 

I'm really glad I gave it a go both times, it was something I thought about before even starting our family, I really wanted to try it and I have made it work for us. Our bodies are pretty amazing things, they can give life and then help little ones continue to grow big and strong even out of our bodies!

x

Comments

Popular Posts