Cesarean Vs VBAC

I've had a few mums ask me lately if I'm opting for another Cesarean birth or if I'm going for a VBAC. Now for people that don't know what a VBAC is (don't worry I had to google it too when I was first asked!) it is a Vaginal birth after cesarean, so basically its is a fancy way of asking C-section or natural?

I've chosen to go with Cesarean again and these are my reasons: during my first pregnancy my placenta was low lying and only close to the end did it move out of the way enough to be given the option to go natural. After being in labour for 24 hours I managed to get to 9cm dilated but the doctor could tell that Georgia was stuck, he said he could feel that her head was swelling which meant she wouldn't be able to escape on her own and ended in an emergency cesarean. He put it down to my placenta trying to escape the same time as Georgia and both of them being pushy blocked up the exit! When she was born she had a very squashed little ear for about a week maybe 2 (zombie mum can't remember!) so I'm thinking his theory is correct.
At my 19 week scan the other week the doctor said my placenta is low lying again and no way in hell am I going through the same type of labour!

I also found having such a long labour and getting very little sleep I was exhausted beyond belief, so as soon as I knew I had a girl I was over it, well in truly over the whole thing. I had my little cuddle and after that wasn't overly interested. I feel horrible that I wasn't one of those mums who instantly felt that bond with their baby, and I put it down to the whole day. I think being booked in to have my cesarean and just dealing with that will put me in a better frame of mind for baby number 2 and for Mark. The poor guy, I had just had Georgia and I just slept while the stapled me up and left him to nurse a new born baby, I can't imagine how overwhelmed and freaked out he was!

My last reason is purely a vanity one. I've already got the battle wound why would I potentially mess up my lady bits? Georgia was a big baby weighing in at 3.94kgs and apparently baby number 2 is already measuring big so why would I risk it? 'Tearing you a new one' is not a saying that I want applied to me!

Every mum out there has different thoughts and opinions on the topic and everyone's situation is different, you've got to do what is best for you and your situation. It really doesn't matter as long as you and your baby are ok at the end of it. These are my reasons for choosing what I want to do and for all the mums who choose VBAC good on you! You're amazing! And the mums who choose cesarean you are also amazing! You're bringing a tiny human into the world and it is the most incredible thing to do!

x

Comments

Popular Posts