On the Safe Side

We wanted to be extra careful this time so contraception was a must! It only took 2 months of trying to fall pregnant with Lauren so the more careful we could be the better! While we are pretty certain that our little family is complete, there is still a little niggle that maybe one day we might want to have a third tiny human, so a more permanent option isn't what we want just at the moment. 

Before babies I was taking the pill and once I came off it I realised how much I disliked what it was doing to my hormones. I was on it for 15 years without a break as I wasn't informed that you do need a break from the pill every now and then. So I don't plan on going back on them again. 

I talked to my doctor about my options and I went away to have a think. He said I could go on the mini pill but that only has 95% cover and you have to take the pill at the same time everyday. He also offered putting an Implanon in my arm which I didn't like the sound of so I said no to that option right away. He then recommended a Mirena, which I ended up going with. 

It has 99% cover that you won't fall pregnant, you don't need to remember to take a pill everyday and it lasts for 5 years. Everyone is different in their preferences but this is what I felt would work best for me, so I just want to tell my story of how it has gone for me so far, It might not be the same for everyone. 

I firstly had to do a pregnancy test as the doctor wasn't happy with our level of care to make sure I wasn't pregnant, I didn't think I was going to have to do another one of those anytime soon! Luckily it was a negative test. He then asked if I wanted a Cervical smere done while he was there, I was like hey why not, One less embarrassing thing to have to do again next year! Did you know the tests now last 5 years? I did not know this! 

So the doctor uses the oh so lovely speculum, or I say the horrible vice to open you up so they can see all your organs from your vagina. I find this the worst part, I know the doctors always say relax but honestly how do you relax with that thing in you?!? Then the whole procedure, including the cervical smere was over in 2 minutes. I didn't find it painful at all, mainly because I was focusing on the speculum and how uncomfortable that thing is! I also couldn't feel anything once I stood up. 

That night I did start to bleed not heavily but enough to be annoying. And I have been bleeding on and off with it since, I had it put in a month ago. 
My hormones have taken a beating with it since I've had it in. I have been a lot more emotional and my fuse has been very short. Especially in that first week of having it in. I have also found my Nipples to be extra sore, so Expressing is really painful. Other then that I've had no other side effects.

So for the moment I am happy with my choice of contraception and don't need to worry about it until 2023! As long as I don't fall pregnant and my body starts to calm down with the Mirena in I'll remain happy.

If you're a mama who is wanting to know more about your options for contraception do your research and talk to your doctor, everyone is different and what might work for one mama might not work for you.

x

Comments

Popular Posts