Missing those Zzzz's

It is made very clear to you by all Mum's that when you become a parent those 8 hour nights of solid sleep disappear, the sleep in's become nonexistent and the late nights out become a chore more then fun. But even though they say it over and over again and you think you are prepared, you sadly are not!

Trying to be a perfectly functioning human on minimal sleep is ridiculous! I mean why can't you pay for your weeks groceries with your drivers license?!? Sounds perfectly logical to me! Honestly I really don't know how I got through those months and are still alive, in fact how we are all still alive, my husband, my child and everyone who passed me while I was driving! For instance Miss G decided last night at 11 pm to roll over and start crying because she couldn't roll back, and I'm tired today just from that! How did I get through 4 months of sleeping for 4 to maybe 5 hours a night!?

I was definitely not coping, Chocolate didn't give me the energy I desperately was searching for, it didn't make me give up hope, on the chocolate eating that is, I was on a mission to see how much chocolate I could consume in a day that would make me feel 'normal', my studies have found no amount of chocolate will do this. And I felt like I couldn't drink coffee because I was breast feeding at the time so I couldn't run on caffeine fuel either.

I started doing the most random things like when I was in bed I kept thinking I had Georgia in the bed with us, I would wake hubby in a panic and realise I'd bundled up some of the bedding in my arms! All the while bub was sound asleep in her bassinet. One time I just stared at Georgia when she was crying with a blank face and completely freak hubby out. And another time I did fall asleep while I was holding her, only the once, that was enough to snap me out of letting my exhaustion overrun my mind while I was attending to her. I did also fall asleep while I was using my breast pump! When I woke up I had been pumping for 30 mins!

It did get to a stage where she would only wake 1 to 2 times a night, each time I was up for an hour, feeding, changing, letting her fall asleep in my arms, putting her to bed, pumping then cleaning up after doing that. So she was getting more sleep at night but during the day she would barely sleep. I had no time to do much during the day, no independence. I had a lovely girlfriend come over one afternoon at 3pm and I was still in my PJ's and was covered in baby vomit, I was given no opportunity to have a shower before she came as Miss G would not sleep and would cry if I put her down. I think baby vomit is the fragrance of mums world wide, we will call it: Mothers scent by Baby V Eau De Parfum. Luckily my girlfriend is amazing & didn't care at all.

Everyone kept saying to me that's great she is sleeping better at night then the day, but I didn't feel lucky, I had no break during the day, no time to make something to eat, have a shower or even go to the toilet. It made doing anything during the day virtually impossible. It is a huge adjustment when you're so used to doing whatever you want whenever you want, and doing simple tasks were no longer simple.

At about 3.5 months old we decided to move Georgia into her own room. Every night when hubby and I go to bed we always love to have a chat and with bub in there we felt that we couldn't make a sound. We also were desperate for our own space back which was just our zone and not being overrun with tiny human stuff. I was so nervous about the move but it actually worked out great for Georgia as well, she slept much better being in her own room. The first night she was in there
I barely slept I kept constantly checking the monitor to make sure she was ok. 

I also decided to start a sleep program, I looked into a bunch of programs and found one that sat well with me. I really wasn't interested in programs that use the 'crying it out' method. I purchased the Sleep Mama program & have not been disappointed! There are great techniques in the program which actually work and are so simple to implement into bubs room & for me to do to help her settle herself to sleep. It did take about 2 weeks for us all to get into the rhythm of the program but getting through those 2 weeks has definitely paid off. I am so relived I bought this program, it educated me a lot on the importance of sleep, not just for bub but for us also. Best money I have spent. I now have a 7.5 month old who sleeps 11 to 12 hours solid a night and has two 2 hour naps a day, and every time she is awake she is the happiest kid, I don't know if it is because she is well rested or it is just who she is but it is amazing!

Here is a link to the sleep mama website if your keen for a look, she has other programs available too!
The Sleep Mama

x


Comments

Popular Posts