Watching the Box

So we decided long before even falling pregnant that we didn't want our babies watching TV, not until they were older and even then have it limited. I never envisioned my kids being TV Zombies!

A lot of people said that will change once bub is here and that I will want to put her in front of the tele so I can have a break. Now I'm pretty stubborn and when someone says you can't do that, I take extremely great pleasure in proving them wrong. I said to my hubby once 'I'm not going to eat chocolate for a whole year' he said 'I bet you won't last!' now if he hadn't have said anything I wouldn't have lasted out the week, my chocolate addiction is extreme, at that stage I was eating some form of chocolate at least twice a day! So off I started on my no chocolate for a year challenge and guess what? I lasted the full 365 days! It was a waste of time because I did just go back to eating chocolate BUT STILL, stubborn me proved him wrong!

So I was very determined to stick to what I wanted for my little one. A lot of people have asked what is our reasoning for not letting her watch the screen, well because she is our child and it's our choice to be honest but this would be a very short and boring blog if I didn't elaborate.

Studies have shown that the amount of TV time for kids under 2 is zero hours. It has no educational value for them what so ever. They would learn so much more from watching you doing day to day chores like folding washing or preparing meals. They also have poor vision in the beginning so all they can see is bright flashy lights on this box, so even if you have them watching kids cartoons they have absolutely no clue what they are looking at. The bright lights can also be very stimulating for a little human so it can cause issues with their sleep.

I want her to explore what this amazing world has to offer and use her imagination, I also want her to feel bored and know it's ok to not be constantly entertained.

There are a bunch of other reasons as well, like it can delay speech & communication, it can effect their eye site and delay things like crawling and walking, I could go on but you get the gist.

Babies are only babies for so long, I want to be able to enjoy this stage and watch Georgia learn all these new skills and enjoy life!

Little miss is 8 months old now and we haven't put her in front of our TV, and it hasn't been hard at all, I think because we never started it in the first place. She loves playing with her toys and having a giggle with us. The only struggle is at other peoples houses, we can't ask them to turn off their TV as it isn't our house or our place to ask that, so we do try to distract her or remove her from that room if at all possible.

I really don't feel like she's missing out on anything by not letting her watch TV, there will be plenty of time later on for her to watch cute little cartoons, but right now I just want her to be constantly learning and growing into the amazing tiny human I know she is meant to be. Aww gushy gushy!

x


Comments

Popular Posts