The day care debate

So something weird happened to me about 3 weeks ago, something I didn't expect would ever happen. I woke up one day and thought to myself I feel ready to return to work! I really thought that day would never come!

My last day of work was Christmas Eve last year, I've been at the same place for 10 years and was excited for the break and the change. For this whole time the thought of working and being a mum sounded like my perfect nightmare. I'm not sure what happened to make me change my mind but I feel like I could do both rolls as a beauty therapist & a mum. I'm very lucky Georgia is a pretty good kid these days (I write this as I run around touching every wooden surface in my house!) so I do feel like it could be done! 

I used to work 42 hours a week and I definitely won't be able to do that, especially in the beginning, I'm hoping to start with 2 days a week. I haven't stood for 8 hours straight or lent over a massage table for nearly a year! I'll be going back to tired legs and a very sore knotty back once again, but I can't wait! The thought of doing a 1.5 hour full body massage on a client actually sounds like bliss! Silence for that length of time just thinking about what I'm doing instead of the million things I need to do for Georgia and the pets and the house and Mark and myself sounds AMAZING!

The next problem with wanting to go back to work... to day care or not to day care! Hubby & I have been having this debate at the moment as to what we want to do, If it was up to both of us I'd just magically have a double and one of me can go to work and the other one can watch Georgia. We are leaning  towards day care, I really want that social aspect for Miss G, I feel it's important. I wasn't put in day care as a little one and I was super shy, but my brother who is 5 years younger then me was and he was a social butterfly!

The thought of someone else looking after our child does stress us out, no one will do it the same as us, but we have to cut the rope, just a tiny bit! I've been looking into what to look out for in a day care and these are some of the things I made sure I was happy with:


  • Cleanliness, are the toys cleaned everyday, floors, tables things like that
  • Diverse ages in the staff & the qualifications the staff hold
  • The centres policy on unwell children
  • Will the careers stick to Georgia's routine
  • How the centre keeps me up to date on Georgia and how she is going
  • Did the centre have a TV (I want the answer to be no)
I think Miss G will go well in day care, she loves to go out and see other people, it is more myself I'm worried about! I do think I'm going to be a little bit of a mess when I first put her in there, but for Georgia's sake, I can't expect her to be attached to me forever! Poor kid needs friends her age eventually! I just have to keep telling myself I'm doing the right thing for us and it will be a good thing, I'll have something for me with going to work & Georgia will get to make little friends and play all day long. 

I'm sure I will have more to add to this story when it all starts to happen!!

x

Comments

Popular Posts