My tips on cutting babies nails


How hard is it maintaining little ones nails? Why do they turn into one of those wacky waving inflatable tube guys you see outside of car yards? 

It is one of those dreaded jobs as a mum but at the same time a very necessary one. Their nails are like 10 tiny sharp knives being controlled by a drunk person on a rocky boat. Luckily for me Georgia loves me cutting her nails, but Lauren hates it and I'm assuming the majority of children do actually put up a very strong and compelling fight. 

I'm going to share 10 tips that I've used to do the girls nails and hopefully there is something in here that might help you when you are in battle with your child. 




My top 10 tips for surviving the nail cutting battle:


1. Make sure when you are holding their finger to pull back the skin at the back of the finger as much as possible, this exposes the tip of the nail a lot more making it easier to cut & lessens the chance of nicking the skin with the clippers. Fingers seem to bleed a lot!

2. If your kids are a bit older and understand what you are saying try changing your wording when you are telling them what is about to happen. Instead of saying 'I'm going to cut your nails' try saying 'I'm going to give your nails a trim'. The word cut can be scary to a little one. 

3. Distractions are key! TV can be great for this. Another person singing to them or being silly so they watch them instead of watching you. Doing it while they eat is another one. I've heard of mums doing it while they sleep but I was never successful with this one. 

4. Cut your nails first and show them that it doesn't have to be a big scary ordeal.

5. Trim their nails on a regular basis rather then leaving them until they are talons. Doing them frequently will help them eventually remember it isn't that bad.

6. Praise Praise Praise! When they let you cut them, even if it is only one nail tell them how amazing they are for letting you do it, and how proud you are of them.

7. Don't try and do all 10 nails in one go. Cut 1 or 2 nails then let them have a little play or run around then do some more. It can take you a bit longer but sometimes kids have ants in their pants and can't sit still for any longer then 2 seconds. 

8. Use a tool that you feel comfortable with. I prefer using clippers over scissors as I find them so much quicker and they don't look as scary. But if you like scissors go for it! 

9. Let them try cut them themselves, obviously watch them & teach them, you never know you might have a little nail technician on your hands! 

10. Make it fun, after they have let you cut their nails paint them, They will love it! Yes even the boys!

I hope at least one of my tips help make this tedious job a little easier, please let me know if you have success, I would love to know! Do you have any other tips that make this job a little easier?

Comments

Popular Posts